Yield: 6 as an Appetizer
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Take the traditional fluffy fried deliciousness of beignets and add a savory twist with shirmp and herbs. For an uncomplicated pairing grab a glass of Goldeneye Sparkling and transport your palatte with a taste of Lousiana.
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 ½ cups fully cooked, minced shrimp (about 1 lb), cold
- 2 qts Vegetable oil for frying
- Bring milk, butter and salt to a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon stir in the flour- the mixture will form somewhat of a paste. Cook for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Place the batter in a bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the eggs one at a time into the dough. Add chives and shrimp and mix until smooth.
- Pour the oil into a large enough pot to hold the 2 quarts of oil leaving at least half of the pot space open for frying. When the oil is ready for frying, test a piece of batter and it should bounce in the oil and sizzle. Oil should not smoke. Temperature should be between 325-350 degrees.
- Drop the batter into the oil using a small scooper or tablespoon. Fry the beignets until they are golden and puffed up like a golf ball. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel lined sheet pan.
- Keep beignets warm in a 325 degree oven or serve immediately.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.