Rustic Mushroom Stuffing
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 loaf Artisan French or sourdough bread - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 leek - cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb - halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ lbs wild mixed mushrooms - sliced or quartered
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley - chopped
- 2 tbsp sage - chopped
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup parmesan
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or other nut - chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Place bread cubes on the sheet pan and cook for 10-15 minutes until crisp on the outside but still a bit soft on the inside. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare all vegetables and herbs.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, fennel, salt and freshly ground pepper - cook for 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine. Add fresh herbs and another pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Toss bread cubes with vegetable mix.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs with 2 cups of broth. Add to vegetable/bread mixture, mix well, add parmesan cheese and walnuts - toss. If bread seems to dry add more broth. Transfer to a buttered 9 x 12 inch baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendations - Pinot