Hushpuppies and Pimento Cheese
Yield: 6 as an Appetizer
Prep: 4 Hours | Cook: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours and 30 minutes
- 1 ½ cups Cornmeal, fine
- 1 cup All-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper ground
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cup Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cheddar, at room temperature
- ½ of a 6-oz jar Pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Pickle Juice
- 2 Tbsps Cream cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne, ground- optional
- With a stand mixer or by hand whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and onion powder together. Add eggs and buttermilk and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Fold in sliced green onions when preparing to fry.
- Pour the oil into a large enough pot to hold the 2 quarts of oil leaving at least half of the pot space open for frying. When the oil is ready for frying, test a piece of batter and it should bounce in the oil and sizzle. Oil should not smoke. Temperature should be between 325-350 degrees.
- Using a large tablespoon, drop rounded spoonfuls of batter into oil about 8 to 10 hushpuppies per batch. Fry for about 3 minutes and lay onto paper towel or metal cooling rack.
- Serve immediately with pimento cheese.
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix by hand for a rough consistency or whip with paddle attachment for a more creamy consistency. (Hot sauces can be omitted or used generously at your whim). Serve immediately.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.