Mac and Cheese with Mushroom, Bacon & Peas
Yield: 6 -8 servings
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 lb Macaroni noodles
- 1 ½ lbs Assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 4 Tbsps butter plus 3 Tbsps more for sautéing
- 4 Tbsps Flour
- 4 cups whole milk warmed
- 2 cups smoked mozzarella shredded
- 2 cups Italian fontina shredded
- 1 cup parmigiano grated
- 1 ½ cups shelled blanched fresh peas
- 6 Slices crisp bacon, chopped
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups breadcrumbs toasted and crumbled
- ½ cup grated parmigiano grated
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsps thyme chopped
- ¼ - ⅓ cup olive oil or butter
Preheat the oven 400 degrees
- Cook Pasta and set aside. Gather your ingredients and have in bowls ready to go before you begin cooking.
- Heat 3 Tbsp butter and 3 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat, add shallot and garlic and pinch of salt and saute’ for 5 min.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add mushrooms; stir well to incorporate the shallot/garlic so as not to burn. Stir constantly until juices are released from the mushrooms about 5-8 minutes more so they are slightly soft.
- Put mushrooms in a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan melt 4 Tbsp butter and add 4 Tbsp flour on medium heat stirring and making a rouge - cook for about 3-5 min. Turn heat off, add freshly ground nutmeg.
- Slowly add warmed milk whisking until all is incorporated, stir well, then slowly add the 3 cheeses stirring and mixing until you have a nice cheese sauce.
- In a large baking dish approximately 9x12 deep incorporate pasta and cheese sauce, add bacon bits and peas and stir until well mixed. Sprinkle breadcrumb topping over top of pasta evenly.
- Bake in the middle of oven for approximately 20 minutes, and then broil for another 3-5 minutes to crisp up topping. Serve immediately.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.